Here are some quick iPhone pics from date night. My hair is still quite wet, and we were running a little late for our reservation, but I think you get the idea. We ate at Ada St, a trendy little hole in the wall. They had awesome cocktails and yummy small plates. It was a delicious dinner, but this wasn’t really the kind of place where you bust out the sparkles. I was going for a look that was kind of hipster-cool, but still with enough sex appeal to keep the man happy.
Here are some simple guidelines I like to follow for date night dressing:
- Don’t go nuts on the shoes. Best case scenario, he doesn’t even notice your shoes anyway. Worst case scenario, you complain that your feet hurt and he secretly wants to murder you. Wear your uncomfortable shoes with your girl friends. These boots are the most comfortable of my super high heels, and I was easily able to navigate the 3-4 blocks we had to walk back to civilization (the restaurant is in a very industrial area) to hail a cab.
- No insane lip color. No one wants to see you reapplying and NO ONE wants to risk getting that shit on their own face. I wore a sheer light coral.
- Remember a sweater. Restaurants are always cold. Always. They do that so that the kitchen staff doesn’t sweat into your food. Don’t let your poor circulation turn you into a complainer; bring that sweater (or pashmina), girl.
- Let the boobies out, in a subtle way. This is not a nightclub and you are not JWOWW, so settle down. To everyone else, this is just a tee shirt, but to my dining companion, it is a very low v neck that gives him an “accidental” peek at my brassiere every time I lean over to take a bite.
The mister thought this cardigan looked like a Cosby sweater. You can’t win them all…
- Jacket: old Tahari (similar here)
- Cardigan: Forever 21 Draped Geo Pattern Cardigan (no longer online, try stores) (very similar here)
- Tee shirt: old Forever 21 (similar here and here)
- Jeans: old Lux via Urban Outfitters (similar here)
- Boots: old Cynthia Rowley (similar here, here, and here)
- Clutch: oooold Marc Ecko (similarish here)
- Necklace: old Claire’s (similarish here and here)
- Ring: old Forever 21 (?) (similarish here, here, and here)